Residents may obtain a burn permit from the Fire Department to burn brush and leaves on the first Saturday of each month as long as the conditions are safe for outside burning. Residents should call 706-778-4343 on Saturday morning between 7am-12pm to obtain a permit. All fires must be extinguished at dark.
Residents must notify all of their adjoining neighbors before they can burn brush and leaves.
Burning at any other time is prohibited and subject to fines. (Exception: Outdoor fires may be used for cooking and/or warmth. These fires must be attended at all times and in a approved fire pit.)
- Sec. 24-12. – Outside burning for land clearing, construction, or right-of-way maintenance.
- (a)Outside burning for purposes of land clearing, construction or right-of-way maintenance shall be subject to the following:
- (1)All such burning shall require the approval of the EPD, and the city fire department.
- (2)Prevailing winds at the time of the burning must be away from the major portion of the city’s population.
- (3)The location of the burning must be at least 1,000 feet from any occupied structure.
- (4)Burning may occur less than 1,000 feet but at least 300 feet from any occupied structure if an air curtain destructor is used.
- (5)No more than one air curtain destructor may be operated within a ten acre area at one time.
- (6)The amount of dirt on or in the material being burned must be minimized.
- (7)Heavy oils, asphalt materials, items containing natural or synthetic rubber, or any materials other than plant growth may not be burned.
- (8)No more than one pile, 60 feet by 60 feet or equivalent, may be burned within a nine-acre area at one time.
- (b)It shall be unlawful for any person to build or make fires within the city limits except as follows:
- (1)Outdoor fires may be used for cooking and/or warmth.
- (2)All outdoor fires must be contained in an approved fire pit.
- (3)Outdoor fires are only to be built with the permission and under the supervision of the property owner or occupant.
- (4)There must be an adequate water supply immediately available.
- (5)The burning of brush, leaves, trash, or any materials other than firewood is prohibited.
- a.Residents may obtain a burn permit from the Fire Department to burn brush and leaves on the first Saturday of each month as long as the conditions are safe for outside burning.
- b.Residents must notify all of their adjoining neighbors before they can burn brush and leaves.